Sunday 15 November 2015

Dog Walking and Parkinson's Disease

This morning I was reading a really interesting part in the book 'The Brain's Way of Healing' of how a person had seemingly 'reversed' some of his Parkinson's symptoms using neuroplasticity by walking.
He spoke of how he focussed on every single movement of each step he took. 
I was thinking about this as I was taking Merlin on his usual daily stroll this morning, and it really made me appreciate how much we take things like walking for granted. I tried focussing on each step, the movement of each muscle needed to move just a small distance forward, but I was much too distracted by other things. It is moment like these where you notice the dedication some people have to getting better. 
It also further fuelled my interest in the brain, and how it can seemingly heal itself, something I look forward to studying more throughout my hopeful career of becoming a doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment