Sunday 31 July 2016

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

Unless you have spent the best part of the past year living under a rock, you will be well aware that a new Harry Potter play, and subsequently the script, was in the making. Yesterday, the play, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, had its official opening which, of course, left the book to be released today, July 31st, also known as both Harry Potter's and his 'mother', JK Rowling's, birthday.

First of all, I want to wish a very happy birthday to the pair!

You might know that I'm a huge Potter fan and I have been so excited about this book for so long now! The eighth Potter book has finally arrived! Just to give you an idea of how much of a fan I am: I've read the books so many times I've actually lost count; I've watched the films so much I can talk along to them; last night I watched Deathly Hallows Part 2 in preparation and I didn't even get 2 minutes in before crying.

So yes, h.u.g.e. Potterhead here so it's unsurprising just how emotional I was today.

I actually had a ticket for the midnight release of the book at my 'local' (over 25 miles away) Waterstones in Plymouth. However, due to the distance, I couldn't attend. I could get a bus there, but no matter how much begging, my parent's refused to pick me up. Yep, they're actually worse than the Dursleys. 

Did I let that spoil the fun? Hell no!

I got the first bus in this morning (which did mean getting up at 8am... on a Sunday...) and was outside Waterstones ready for the doors to open to receive my copy! Once I had my book, I went to the other Waterstones in the city to take part in the celebrations.

I bought the quidditch set, had some of Harry's birthday cake, made a bookmark, took loads of photos and took part in the fantastic scavenger hunt they had set up. It was so much fun, especially seeing everyone all dressed up in their finest wizarding gear and immaculate uniform!

I've only read about a third of the book so far, but I am thoroughly enjoying it. I've only read a couple play scripts before, so it took a while to get used to. I also miss having the inner thoughts of the characters and the setting descriptions, but besides that, Cursed Child is certainly living up to it's hype!

Do you have the book? Have you read it yet? What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment